Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Holy Spirit Burns....?

We were driving down the road the other day in the mother ship (our family van). I was driving, mom was in the passenger seat, Shandlee was sitting there in her seat relaxing, while the Port was in the very back seat sitting looking out the window. We turned onto the street right before the college, when there came an, “awe man that hurts!” from the back seat. Brooke and I didn’t think much of it because, let’s face it, not the strangest thing our 4 year old has come up with. I looked in the rear view mirror and asked if he was okay. The reply was something that none of us would have ever expected. There could have been many different types of answers to my question. “I spilt my drink dad,” or the ever so popular, “I can’t reach my toy,” answer that is so textbook with him. None of these would have done, it was the response of all responses. “The holy spirit is burning my eyes.” Um, What? It was though everything just stopped. The conversation between Brooke and I stopped as we both met each others gaze with a quizzical look. I think even little Shandlee could sense that something didn’t sit right with that comment as she stopped what she was doing and sat there with an abeyance look on her face.
“What on earth are you talking about Porter?” Brooke asked almost afraid of the answer. Porter then proceeded to tell us that if we look directly at it, the Holy Spirit will burn your eyes. We prodded a little bit more with some questions as the intellect of a 4 year old was laid out in front of us, we detected that he had confused the SUN as the part of what was discussed in church about the Father, the SON, and the Holy spirit. Brooke and I couldn’t stop laughing as we sat there and listened to our son talk about how he didn’t like the Holy Spirit because it burnt his eyes when he looked at it. We had a wonderful discussion as we drove about the difference between big fire planet that gives us light, and the warm fuzzy feelings that the Holy Spirit gives us to know what is true.

2 comments:

treen+5 said...

Ha ha ha I love it. What a smart kid! You mean he doesn't just eat crayons and stand on the chairs in class? Your family pictures are so cute!

Anonymous said...

love the family pix....Porter is as sharp as a tac..what a good teaching moment! Kids say the darndest things...I love it. GMC
the saber too--well, christmas will be in seven years right?